1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist cake mix (any flavor)
Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Tray or cardboard (15×12 inches), covered with foil
2/3 cup Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy dark chocolate frosting (from 1-lb container)
1 cup Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting (from 1-lb container)
1 chocolate-covered mint patty or devils food cookie
1 sliced marshmallow
1 gum ball or m&m
1 yellow ring-shaped hard candy (lifesaver)
1 roll (from 4.5-oz box) strawberry or other red chewy fruit snack
1 black licorice rope or hershey's chocolate twizzler
Square-shaped candy-coated gum
Let's get started!
1. Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal pans (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Spray bottoms and sides of 1 (8-inch) and 1 (9-inch) round with baking spray with flour.
2. Make cake as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Pour into pans. Bake as directed on box. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. I would even suggest putting it in the fridge for 30 mins-1 hour to get it firm.
3. Use a serrated knife to cut 9-inch cake in half and cut hat as shown in diagram on Web site. Remaining half of 9-inch cake will form body of pirate. Cut 8-inch cake as shown in diagram. On tray, arrange cake pieces. Cut ears and nose from small pieces of remaining cake (another idea is to use a marshmellow for his nose and cover it with frosting...I thought of this after I did this cake, of course); attach to cake with small amount of frosting. Cover; freeze or refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
4. Reserve 2 teaspoons dark chocolate frosting. Frost hat with remaining dark chocolate frosting. Mix 2/3 cup of the vanilla frosting with reserved . With tinted vanilla frosting, frost head, ears and nose of pirate. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a crumb coating with the frosting and then refrigerating the cake for another 30 mins-1 hour and then doing a final coat. You won't be sorry!
With the vanilla frosting coat the body, chocolate coat the hat, and tan coat the face.
After refrigeration and final coat:
Now the decorating begins!!
5. Add mint patty or devils food cookie for eye patch, marshmallow slice and gum ball or m&m for eye, and ring-shaped candy for earring.
6. Cut fruit snack into shapes for shirt stripes, mouth and strap for eye patch; place on cake. Cut licorice or twizzler to fit hat. Add gum for teeth and chocolate sprinkles for whiskers. Store loosely covered at room temperature.