4.24.2008

Appreciate Your Local Fast Food Drive-Thru Worker

It has been a LONG time since I have had good service at a drive-thru. Most of the people at the window aren't too happy to see you. I'm guessing it's because they don't like their job or have let someone's bad mood infect them. Which I have dealt with and it is a hard thing to look passed. Nowadays, I just try to think positively and smile through it. Or if that doesn't work, there's always this quote:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Last night however, I grabbed a quick dinner at Arby's on the way to Beth's store. As I pulled up to the brown voice box, I felt a little frustration because of all the passed experiences but to my surprise a pleasant voice came out of the box. It kindly asked me to hold on just a moment and to take my time looking over the menu. I'm kinda glad because I never know what I want from there. I know I took quite a while deciding but she was patient. I asked about a drink I had seen advertised on a poster on the window of the restaurant, but wasn't on the menu. I believe it was called a Berry Swirl. So I asked and she replied, "Oh yes, that drink is really good!" I think that is the very first time anyone has ever been 'excited' about a food item and it made me want it even more. YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I then ordered a baked potato and drove on around. When I got up to the window, she took my money and went on and on about how cute little Landry was (he goes with me to the store sometimes). I put him up to the window so she could pet him and I think it made her day. Her overall demeanor was sweet and warm. Through the remainder of the conversation she continued her politeness and told me to have a wonderful night. As I drove away, I had a smile on my face. A smile! Because of a nice girl at the Arby's drive-thru. I decided someone else needed to know about it. I realized though that I hadn't seen her name badge or remembered what it said. So, I looked for my receipt thinking it would be on there. Well, it probably would have been, but I didn't get one in the bag. But I was determined for her to at least get a pat on the back. So when I arrived at the store, I called down to the restaurant and asked for a manager. I'm pretty sure it was her that answered the phone, but the manager's name was Keith. Keith, I hope you told that girl how good she is at her job! She's a keeper and she needs a raise!

I'm reading a book right now that my mom gave me called, "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller (thanks Mom!). I'm only about 4 chapters in, but in the 3rd chapter he talked about the difference between a vocation, career, and a job.

He says a "[v]ocation is the most profound of the three, incorporation calling, purpose, mission, and destiny. This is the big picture many people never identify for themselves." Never identify??? Wow, I think I want to identify the purpose that God has for my life, don't you? He goes on to say, "[i]t's what you're doing in life that makes a difference and builds meaning for you, which you can review in your later years to see the impact you've made on the world." I want to be able to look back on my life and know that I did wh
at I was meant to and made a difference because of it. I don't expect to find the cure for cancer or anything, but just knowing I made someone smile or feel good because of what I do would mean the world.

A career is defined as "to run or move at full speed, rush wildly." In other words, you can go really fast for a long time and get no where. Wow. I want to make sure I'm on the right career path with my vocation so that I'm getting somewhere! Miller says, "[y]ou can have different careers at different points in your life. Conversely, two or three different careers can call support your calling. For example, to embrace the calling of "helping to reduce pain and suffering in the world, we could list multiple careers: physician, nurse, counselor, pastor, teacher, scientist, politician, writer, etc. Thus, if you want to change careers at some point in life, simply take a fresh look at your vocation and find a new application." Just because everyone has a calling it doesn't mean everyone is being called to be a minister or preacher either. And if you aren't one of those two it doesn't mean you aren't in God's will. You can apply it to anything you do.

A job is obviously what we do each and everyday. Used to, someone would have a job for their entire working life. But now, "the average job is 3.2 years in length, meaning the average person has 14 to 16 different jobs in his/her working lifetime. So, although the job cannot be the critical definition of your vocation or calling, it should be an expression of that calling..." A job is defined "as a lump portion, a task, chore or duty." Make sure what you are doing is one of those fun chores.

So, I hope this makes you wanna go out and buy this book! It's been great so far. Now, back to drinks. LOL. Beth introduced me to another awesome beverage last night. It's a self heating latte!
I have been outta the loop lately, but have you seen this before??? It's SO cool! So it looks like a coke can top on both ends. You turn it upside down and take off the lid. Then, you push in a plastic button and this lets the green water (the heating agent) get to work. You wait 10 seconds then turn it over and wait for it to heat up. There is a little pink dot on the side and when it turns white, drink up! It takes about 5-8 minutes for the process to be complete. And it was very yummy! And the perfect temperature.

Next? Water. But not just any water, Smart Water.

It takes like regular ol' bottled water, but comes with electrolytes to make sure you are hydrated. Check out what the side of the bottle says:

"Purity you can taste, hydration you can feel. Is it just us or do clouds get a bad rap? While we admit they're not as great to have around on a beach day, as say, the sun, clouds are unsung heroes because they contain nature's purest source of water. Meanwhile, spring water comes from the ground and contains random stuff and whatever else the animals that swim in it leave behind. That's why we copied our white puffy friends by creating smartwater. It's vapor distilled so it is in its purest original state. It's a difference you can taste...unless, of course, you have no taste buds (then you're on your own). But, we don't stop there. We one-up the clouds by adding electrolytes just in cast you do decide to hit the beach. Unfortunately, we can't fix the whole men in thongs thing."

LOL. I'm glad funny people write these things. What a great VOCATION! :) So now you have 4 things to do:

1. Go to Arby's. Buy a Berry Swirl. You won't be sorry. And if you are, I'm sorry I guess your taste buds aren't working. ;)

2. Go buy "48 Days to the Work You Love," by Dan Miller. Trust me on this one.

3. Go buy a Hillside Coffee that heats itself up. It will save you time in the mornings. You can thank me later.

4. Go buy some smartwater. Get hydrated, the right way.


Happy Thursday!

P.S. Don't forget Grey's Anatomy tonight :)


No comments: