12.02.2010

Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues

If you have been reading my posts for any time at all you know that I am partial to the musician Justin Townes Earle. I don't think I ever come across any musician that I have enjoyed so much. There isn't one thing about him or his singing that I can pinpoint as to why I like him so much, it's just the whole package. Once again, if you haven't ever experienced JTE, take a quick listen to his new album Harlem River Blues. It's for sale on amazon.com for $4.99 for an mp3 download. You can't beat that!

On to the story...Last Friday night, I got the chance to see him live, once again, at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville. -Which is a very cool venue in itself. I had never been before and plan to not only go back, but to get The Hotshot Freight Train a gig there as well.- JTE's show was opened by Bobby Bare, Jr.. I had never heard Bare live before Friday and wasn't disappointed. He definitely has a different style about him, included a few 'mouth pops' that he throws into his songs, but that's what makes him interesting. He has a unique quality to his voice that is attractive. At the show Friday night, he was accompanied by a trumpet, accordion, drums, bass guitar, and acoustic. Point is, it was very entertaining and I wouldn't mind seeing him again live. Go have a listen (I would suggest Sad Smile) and buy his album too!

I have always said that JTE puts on a great show. His voice is just as good live as it is on his album, he tells stories about his life and the songs, he is open and honest, he has good stage presence, and is fun to watch. He was accompanied by a bass, a fiddle, a pedal steel guitar, and a few guitars. The sound on his new album is a tad different from those in the past, but this isn't a negative thing. I think his sound has more depth now.

JTE was in Nashville for 2 nights and on the second night, these videos were captured of Harlem River Blues, which he brought other musicians on stage to join in, and One More Night in Brooklyn.





I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments: