1.08.2013

Pizza with a Twist!

Trying to start the new year off right, I spent New Year's Eve searching Pinterest for some low point value snacks to serve at our celebration that evening.  One of the goodies I found was cauliflower pizza bites.  I had heard of using cauliflower as a dough before (and even as a substitute for mashed potatoes!), but never tried it.  What is it they say, never try a new recipe for the first time when you're having people over? Oh well, I'm a rebel.  After my first bite I was hooked!  Who doesn't love a ZERO Points Plus snack?

So, on my next trip to the store I picked up two heads of cauliflower, because you never know!  A few nights ago, I was in the mood for pizza and once again hit Pinterest for a cauliflower pizza dough recipe.  I found several, but the problem was we didn't have all the ingredients for any of them.  I decided to wing it and modify where I needed to and hoped for the best.

We ended up with a 1.5 Points Plus per slice pizza that was DELICIOUS!  I had several people ask me for the recipe after posting a mouthwatering picture on Facebook, so here goes!

I found the original recipe here: http://www.perrysplate.com/2012/02/cauliflower-pizza-crust.html Thanks, Perry's Plate!  But like I said, had to make a few modifications.  What I did is below.


Cauliflower Pizza (serves 4)


Ingredients for dough:

1 head cauliflower, stems removed and cut into 2-inch florets
Egg Whites (equivalent to 3 eggs)
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of reduced fat feta cheese
1/4 cup of reduced fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 tsp dried herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, Italian seasoning, etc.)
A few pinches of salt

Ingredients for toppings (here's where it gets interesting!):

1 cup left over spaghetti sauce (with lean ground turkey)
18 slices of turkey pepperoni
1/2 cup of diced tomato
1/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (regular)
1/4 cup of reduced fat feta cheese
A handful of spinach leaves (with no stems)
A handful of basil leaves (with no steams)

Directions:

For dough: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a rimmed baking pan with nonstick spray.
Boil or steam the cauliflower until it is easily stabbed with a fork. Drain well, transfer to a food processor and process until smooth (kinda looks like mashed potatoes). Transfer cauliflower to large bowl and add the egg whites, 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 3/4 cup of reduced fat feta cheese, dried herbs, and salt. Mix well.
Spread mixture in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crust begins to turn a darker golden brown around the edges with spots on top.
Remove from the oven. Add desired sauce, toppings, and cheese. Return to oven for 12 minutes or until toppings are heated through and cheese is melted and golden. 

ENJOY!!

No comments: